When you contact my community office, my staff and I will do everything we can to assist. Your confidentiality is respected at all times. To give you a better idea of how we can help, please review the following information.
My Community office can help in many different ways if you are a resident of Port Moody-Coquitlam and need help with matters related to the provincial government. We can::
- Provide information on locating government services and contact information
- Assist with understanding and navigating provincial government policies, services and processes
- Help ensure due process is being followed in government services
- Attend community events
- Accept practicum students
- Provide congratulatory and greeting messages to members of the community
- Provide paper versions of government documents, legislation discussion papers and other web-based forms for those who don’t have internet access
- Help to resolve issues you may be having with provincial ministries or agencies. (By law, there are some things we cannot help you with- feel free to ask us if you’re not sure!)
Unfortunately, we cannot help you if:
- You have or need to retain a lawyer to represent you pertaining to your case;
- Your matter is pending before the courts.
- The police are involved. We cannot make inquiries about police investigations. If you have a complaint about police conduct, please direct them to the Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner.
We are unable to:
- Offer legal advice or assist with legal action;
- Overturn the decision of any provincial government ministry or body;
- Influence processes set up in law to be independent of the Legislature –such as Ombudsman, or Police Complaints Commissioner;
- Change the time limits for filing appeals;
- Take on casework that is federal or municipal in nature;
- Interfere with federal or municipal issues.